“Newport is synonymous with sailing, and this island, with it’s natural harbor is the ancestral home of many merchants and seafarers,” said Trixie Wadson, Marketing Director, Bowen’s Wharf Co. Company founder, President Bart Dunbar added,“As a the host of many Tall Ships events over the years I believe the visit of theDraken ship will be a spectacular attraction in our historic town. The construction of expedition and recreation vessels is near to my heart and closely aligned with our Rhode Island marine industry. We all welcome this great wooden ship.”
The Draken will dock at Bowen’s Wharf Marina (1Bowen’s Landing) and will offer a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for visitors to relive history in a way never experienced before. Draken will allow guests to not only marvel at this stunning Viking ship – but also to interact with the crew as they share their personal experiences of thrill, fear, and exhilaration while enduring the ship’s 2016 transatlantic crossing – reliving the Viking discovery of the New World more than 1,000 years ago.
Additional ticketed Draken events include a lecture with Captain Björn Ahlander outlining the adventurous expeditions of the Draken (Saturday,August 11,7:00pm to 9:00pm, $25).
“The Vikings were accomplished navigators, artisans, traders and storytellers, but their greatest triumph was the ships they built,” said Captain Björn Ahlander. “Each Draken stopover offers guests a tangible tie to history. We hope our visitors are inspired by the vigor of the Viking spirit and our modern-day adventures.”
Following the overwhelming response from the 2016 tour, the next leg of the Draken Harald Hårfagre North American tour will consist of stopovers across the U.S. East Coast states of Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington D.C., Virginia, and more. The final tour schedule and all stopover ports are set to be announced in the coming weeks.
The crew on board Draken is a team of 35 men and women from all over the world, representing a diverse mix of age, gender, nationality, and background. The Draken is now accepting applications for public volunteer crew positions. To take part in this rare opportunity visit: www.drakenhh.com/join-the- crew.
To learn more about the Draken ship, team, and 2018 tour, visit www.DrakenHH.com or @DrakenHH on social media.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library