On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 6pm, the Newport Art Museum will host the Navy Band Northeast’s Alumni Big Band for a free, family-friendly outdoor concert on the Museum’s lawn. Always popular, the Navy Band Northeast’s upcoming performance is particularly exciting as the band will be joined by past alumni musicians. This special reunion concert of the Alumni Big Band will perform under the direction of Senior Chief Musician Ian Charleton.
The Navy Band Northeast was established in 1974, is stationed on the Naval Station Newport, and is one of 11 official U.S. Navy bands worldwide. Appropriate for all ages, and free to the public, the Museum invites music lovers to bring blankets, chairs and picnics to enjoy on the lawn during the concert. The Museum’s John N.A. Griswold House will also be open to visitors during the concert.
In the event of inclement weather, the concert will move inside the Museum. Indoor seating is limited, and reservations are recommended at www.newportartmuseum.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)