Island Moving Company, Newport’s contemporary ballet company announces the return of Second Star to the Right: A Tale of Hook and Pan. The site-specific ballet is in the tradition of Island Moving Company’s renowned Newport Nutcracker at Rosecliff and legendary Dracula at Belcourt Castle. In partnership with Rhode Island’s official flagship and Tall Ship ambassador, the Oliver Hazard Perry, and historic Fort Adams, Second Star to the Right: A Tale of Hook and Pan, is a full length story ballet in two acts on the docks of the fort, and on the decks and rigging of the Oliver Hazard Perry.
The ballet was premiered in 2016 with support by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts. The debut run featured four performances that quickly sold out, and a fifth show was added. Coast Guard regulations limit occupancy on the ship which restricts the number of tickets available to 80 for each performance. The 2018 production will feature 7 performances September 6-9, 2018, and the original score performed live under the direction of composer Tobias Andrews. Sponsorships of Second Star to the Right are available, and tickets can be purchased online at www.IslandMovingCo.org or over the phone at (401)847-4470.
Performance Dates and Times
- Thursday September 6, 6:00pm
- Friday September 7, 4:00pm
- Friday September 7, 6:00pm – Post Show Gala Reception for Donors
- Saturday September 8, 2:00pm
- Saturday September 8, 6:00pm – Evening Sponsored by Marilyn Woloohojian
- Sunday September 9, 1:00pm
- Sunday September 9, 3:00pm
More From What’s Up Newp
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “Those Who Wish Me Dead”
- Renowned RI stone carver Nick Benson to create unique art installation at Farm Fresh RI
- Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project to resume training classes
- How America’s partisan divide over pandemic responses played out in the states
- WUN-ON-ONE: A virtual video conversation with Melanie Chartoff, comedian, actress, and author