Newport picked up its first win of the 2018 season in its home opener after a 14–10 victory over the Mystic Schooners (0—2), improving to 1-1 on the season. The Gulls were propelled by an 11-run second inning that featured eight consecutive hits including a two-run shot off the bat of Cole Austin. The Arizona State product went 4-5 with three RBI, while Dalton Reed matched Austin’s four hits with a home run of his own. Nearly the entire Gulls line-up recorded a hit, with all nine crossing home plate.
Josh Bates picked up the win for Newport giving up four runs in five innings, striking out eight and walking three. The Gulls offense knocked Mystic starter Jon Signore out of the game in the second inning with eight runs on seven hits and a walk.
Down 11 runs after just two innings, Mystic did not go down easily. The Schooners clawed back to within two runs in the seventh before the Gulls added two insurance runs, stretching its lead to four in the bottom of the eighth. Nathan Wrighter came in to close out the ninth for the Gulls setting down Mystic in order.
Newport will head to Wareham, Mass. to take on the Gateman of the Cape Cod Baseball League in a Thursday night exhibition matchup. The Gulls lead the series 3-1-1 with the last clash ending in a 5–5 tie in 2015.
More from What's Up Newp
- Newport Gallery Night returns on August 12
- Obituary: Belmira Silvia
- Obituary: Jayne Ellen Byam
- Obituary: Susan Christie
- Obituary: Eileen Burke
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 3 Recap and Photos (August 1)
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)