Newport International Boat Show, announced today that it has committed $15,000 to various organizations helping to assist those in the Caribbean islands affected by Hurricanes Irma and Maria.
“Our industry is like a tight-knit family when a disaster like this impacts so many lives, it affects us all. We are collaborating with on-the-ground organizations that are delivering much-needed services, goods, supplies, and supplies for use throughout the USVI, British Virgin Islands and sister islands,” said show director Nancy Piffard in a news release.
“The best way to support the relief efforts is to make a donation, no matter how small, to one of the many funds set up to support those in need,” stated the release.
During the Newport International Boat Show, individual exhibitors and sponsors were doing their part to help. Cay Electronics raised funds to purchase power packs for recharging phones and power tools. Others, such as Dockwa, The St. Croix Foundation, Bitter End Yacht Club and Hanse Yachts were fundraising to support other rebuilding initiatives. Sailors Helping was also on hand to educate attendees on which organizations were authentic in their mission.
The Newport International Boat Show takes place annually in September on the Newport Waterfront in Newport. The event hosts exhibitors from around world with an assortment of boats of every type and style, plus a variety of accessories, equipment, electronics, gear and services for boaters. Dates for the 2018 Show are September 13-16, 2018.
For more information on the Newport International Boat Show, visit www.newportboatshow.com.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals