What’sUpNewp is proud to announce our sponsorship and support of the 2017 Rogue Island Comedy Festival.
Scheduled for October 5th – 9th, Rhode Island’s only stand-up comedy festival will once again bring the best local and nationally known comedians to Newport.
Since I took over ownership of What’sUpNewp in 2012, it’s been a priority of mine to support the live music, entertainment and comedy scene here in Newport. If sailing is the heart of Newport, live music and entertainment are the soul of The-City-By-The-Sea.
“For a town saturated with character and good spirits, Newport deserves to have a festival dedicated to nothing but laughter,” Doug Key, founder of Rogue Island Comedy Festival explains on the event’s website. “In today’s day and age, it’s tough to leave the house when your favorite show is at your fingertips on demand, or your funny Facebook friend shares those ‘hilarious’ videos. It’s not until you experience a real stand up show that you realize what you’re missing out on: original jokes, authentic stories, and a temporary escape from all the seriousness in the world”.
Six venues, including Brick Alley Pub, Dockside, Jane Pickens Theater, Empire Tea & Coffee, The Firehouse Theater and Studio 3, will host more than forty comics throughout fourteen comedy shows over Columbus Day Weekend.
“These are some of the hardest working comics today. A few will inevitably go on to be comedy’s next big thing and i’m so thankful they are here,” Key continues on the site.
We’ve long made it a priority to support the live music, comedy and entertainment scene in Newport. With our expansion to cover all of Rhode Island with What’sUpRhodeIsland, we look forward to working with many more venues, artists, entertainers and events across Rhode Island in the near future. What’sUpNewp sponsoring the Rogue Island Comedy Festival is a natural and perfect fit, we look forward to supporting this annual event, and these comedians, for many years to come.
For more information, the event schedule or tickets, visit www.rogueislandcomedyfest.com.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools