Festivals and musical superstars dominate “6 Picks” this weekend as we add more videos to the weekly column. Check out our preview of some of the best shows this week along with a couple of videos likely to cause some air guitar playing in your living room.
Blues and BBQ Festival Saturday
The East Providence waterfront will be rocking to the sounds and flavors and blues, beer and barbeque on Saturday when the annual Blues and BBQ festival arrives at Bold Point Park, RI’s newest concert spot. Headliner Kenny Wayne Shepherd leads a bill that includes the Robert Randolph Band, The Silks, Cannibal Ramblers, the Barrett Anderson Band, and Cee Cee and the Riders. Music begins at 2PM – details here.
Providence Folk Festival Sunday
Sunday is annual Providence Folk Festival at the Roger Williams National Memorial. This year’s line-up is complete with local and national touring artists on two stages. Performers includes the Chris Monti Trio, Allysen Callery, Chris Trapper, Haunt the House, Cardboard Ox, Bob Kendall and many more. Check out our interview with Festival Producer John Fuzek here – further details here.
It could easily be argued that Green Day is the most commercially successful punk bands of all time. The band’s “Revolution Radio” tour stops by the Xfinity Center on Monday August 28th for what will undoubtedly be a rocking show. Catfish and the Bottlemen open – full details here.
Jon Pousette-Dart Saturday
Back when bands had “regional” followings and “college radio” ruled, Jon Pousette-Dart was the leader of the mellow rock the Pousette-Dart Band. In the 70’s and early 80’s they toured endlessly with hits like “Amnesia,” “County Line,” and “Fall on Me.” The music never stopped for Pousette-Dart who plays Saturday night at the welcoming Purple Cat Winery and Vineyard in Chepachet. New York based Indie Folk-Rock duo Danny and Caroline open at 7PM. Details here.
Billy Joel at Fenway
Speaking of superstars, Billy Joel returns to Fenway Park in Boston next Wednesday August 30th for an unprecedented 4th consecutive year. The piano man continues to sell out ballparks, stadiums and a monthly residency at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Check out his show next Wednesday from the confines of friendly Fenway. Details here.
Scott H. Biram at Dusk
Outlaw country singer-songwriter Scott H. Biram headlines an outstanding line up at Dusk tonight. The joint will be rocking outside behind Dusk, with hot rods, bikes, food and general badass-ary. Cactus Attack, Gallows Bound and Zack Slik open what should be one helluva night of music. Details here.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13