Thomas Edward Murphy, 72, of Newport passed away Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at Newport Hospital.
He was the oldest of 7 children born to the late John L. and Ellen (Elsie) Randall Murphy of Newport.
Tom was a graduate of De La Salle Academy, class of 1963 and Catholic University in Washington, DC, class of 1968. He was a former Christian Brother and Teacher in New Hampshire.
Upon leaving the Brothers, Tom relocated to New York and lived in Flushing, Queens and Bayside, NY. He taught middle school for 10 years and then went into the business world.
Tom moved back to Newport 12 years ago and worked with the US Census until he was forced into retirement for health reasons. Despite health challenges, he persevered and worked hard.
He is survived by three sisters; Joan Murphy, Barbara Murphy both of Tiverton, and Ellen Messie of Orlando, FL, his brother; George Murphy of Newport and three nephews; Jeff Roberts of Philadelphia, PA, John Roberts of McKinney, TX and Matthew Murphy of Newport and his aunt, Irene Murphy of Newport and many cousins.
Visiting hours will be held Saturday, September 2, 2017 from 8:30 am – 10 am in the O’Neill-Hayes Funeral Home, 465 Spring Street, Newport. A Committal prayer service will follow at St. Columba Cemetery Chapel, 465 Brown’s Lane, Middletown at 10:30 am.
In lieu of flowers, donations in Tom’s memory may be made to the James L. Maher Center, PO Box 4390, Middletown, RI 02842.
More from What's Up Newp
- Dashboard Confessional bringing “Unplugged 2021 Tour” to Mohegan Sun on Saturday, Nov. 13th
- School Approaching and Mental Health First Aid Classes to be held at Elks Newport
- What Sold: 31 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (July 25 – 31)
- Obituary: Timothy E. Carter
- Newport Gallery Night returns on August 12
- Obituary: Belmira Silvia
- Obituary: Jayne Ellen Byam
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 3 Recap and Photos (August 1)
- Obituary: Susan Christie
- Obituary: Eileen Burke