Norman David “Whitey” Whitehurst, age 76, of Newport died Sunday, August 6, 2017 at Charlton Memorial Hospital of Fall River, MA. Mr. Whitehurst was born March 9, 1941 in Houston, TX. He is the son of the late Julian Hodge and the late Connie (Whitehurst) Wick. He was the husband of Patricia Louise Ferry for 53 wonderful years.
Norman served in the US Navy during Vietnam and 24 years as a firefighter for the Naval Station Newport, retiring as a captain. He worked as a custodian for 16 years at St. Lucy’s Church in Middletown. Norman was a passionate member of RI State Rifle Association, National Muzzle Loaders Association, Tiverton Rod & Gun Club and Newport Rod & Gun Club. He was a faithful member of Jesus Savior Church, fully entering the Catholic faith on Easter, April 4, 2015.
He is survived by his wife, Patricia Louise (Ferry) Whitehurst, one daughter, Laura Jean Chapman of Riverside, CA and one son, Noel David Whitehurst of Newport, RI.
Calling hours will be held at Memorial Funeral Home 375 Broadway Newport, RI on Thursday, August 10, from 5:00PM – 7:00PM.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10:00 AM on Friday August 11, at Jesus Savior Church, 1 Vernon Avenue, Newport, RI.
Burial will be in Newport Memorial Park, Middletown, RI.
More from What’s Up Newp
- 23 Open Houses to check out in Newport County this weekend
- Obituary: Eileen Schultz English
- Obituary: Joseph R Casale
- Gerry Goldstein: Horse sense from a cowboy philosopher
- Opinion: Lucy’s Hearth needs the community’s support now more than ever
- National Grid making progress in restoration efforts
- Celtic Woman’s “Postcards From Ireland” arriving at Mohegan Sun Arena on March 18, 2022
- What’s Up This Weekend: Salve Fall Festival Weekend, Halloween Hilarity, Trunk or Treat, and more
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels