On Tuesday, RIDOH recommended the closing of Oakland and Conimicut Point Beaches in Warwick, Third Beach and Peabody’s Beach in Middletown, and Barrington and Warren Town Beaches for swimming because of high bacteria counts.
RIDOH recommended reopening Barrington Town Beach for swimming on Wednesday.
Oakland and Conimicut Point Beaches in Warwick, Third Beach and Peabody’s Beach in Middletown, and Warren Town Beach remain closed.
When a beach closure is recommended, water quality analysis is conducted by RIDOH’s laboratory or a state-certified laboratory. Beach closures in Rhode Island are closely tied to precipitation. Stormwater runoff from roads, parking lots, and other impervious surfaces transports contamination (including bacteria) to our fresh and salt-water bodies.
The status of a beach may change daily. The most up-to-date beach information is available through a recorded message on RIDOH’s beaches telephone line (401-222-2751) and online:
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now