Due to the death of pianist Geri Allen on June 27, 2017, the all-star trio – which was to feature Ms. Allen with bassist Esperanza Spalding and drummer Terri Lyne Carrington – will honor its set at the Newport Jazz Festival® with Flying Towards the Sound: For Geri, With Love – Terri Lyne Carrington, Esperanza Spalding with Vijay Iyer, Jason Moran & Christian Sands.
“Geri was a beautiful person whose impact on the music she loved will last forever. She was a unique artist, dedicated to the rights of men and women. She cannot be replaced. I’m glad to have known her for so many years,” said George Wein, Newport Jazz Festival founder and CEO of Newport Festivals Foundation.
“These three pianists, along with Terri Lyne and Esperanza, were deeply connected to Geri as protégés, collaborators and friends. They will honor and celebrate Geri’s life and music in a poignant and personal way,” added Danny Melnick, festival producer.
The Newport Jazz Festival takes place August 4 – 6 at Fort Adams State park and the International Tennis Hall of Fame at the Newport Casino. Artists include The Roots; Béla Fleck & The Flecktones; Snarky Puppy; Andra Day; Leslie Odom, Jr.; Branford Marsalis Quartet; Christian McBride Big Band with Special Guests; Cécile McLorin Salvant; Maria Schneider Orchestra; Hudson: Jack DeJohnette, Larry Grenadier, John Medeski & John Scofield; Trombone Shorty, Rhiannon Giddens; Vijay Iyer & Wadada Leo Smith and many more.
For the complete line-up, tickets and more information, visit www.newportjazz.org, call the Newport Festivals Foundation hotline at (401) 848-5055 or e-mail jazztickets@newportfestivals. org.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits