What’sUpNewp will host a R.I. Senate District 13 (Newport, Jamestown) Candidate Forum at Jane Pickens Theater & Event Center on Monday, July 10th from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm.
This discussion will give candidates for Senate District 13 (Newport, Jamestown) the opportunity to share their views on local and statewide issues ahead of a special election.
There are four Democrats (David Allard, Dawn Euer, John Florez and David Hanos) one Republican (Michael Smith), one Independent (Kimberly Ripoli) and one Green Party Candidate (Gregory Larson) running for the seat that Teresa Paiva Weed filled for 22 years.
NOTE: 6 of the 7 candidates for the forum will be in attendance. Green Party Candidate Gregory Larson will not be in attendance telling What’sUpNewp that “I’ve decided to forgo the debate schedule until after the primary”.
The four Democrats will face off in a primary on Tuesday, July 18th and there will be a special election between the remaining Democrat, Republican, Independent and Independent – Green Party candidate on Tuesday, August 22nd.
This event is free and open to the public, there will be a cash bar available. Please RSVP here – https://www.eventbrite.com/e/senate-district-13-candidate-forum-tickets-35188643179
The forum will be moderated by Frank Prosnitz, contributor to What’sUpNewp and radio host on AM 1540 WADK; Ian Donnis, political/media reporter for RI Public Radio and Ted Nesi, political/economic reporter for WPRI 12.
This event is sponsored and supported by Jane Pickens Theater and What’sUpNewp.
Interested in getting involved or sponsoring this event? E-mail Ryan Belmore at Ryan@whatsupnewp.com.
This story was originally published on April 24th, it has been updated.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million
- Frank Prosnitz: My Jazz Festival’s Top Picks
- Gerry Goldstein: Word horseplay draws some pun-gent responses