With its regular field at Glen Farm made unplayable by constant rains, and draining from the upper fields to the polo grounds, Newport Polo moved its playing field to the upper field for yesterday’s (Saturday) match against first-time visitors, Peru.
While Newport Polo could move a field, it couldn’t budge a Peru team, all from the country’s only polo club in Lima, as Peru prevailed 11 to 7 in what proved to be a spirited match.
It was the opening match for Newport Polo’s season, with matches each Saturday at 5 through August and at 4 for the month of September.
All photos captured by Frank Prosnitz/What’sUpNewp & What’sUpRI
The Latest From WUN
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend