The Newport Gulls opened up the 2017 New England Collegiate Baseball League season on Wednesday at Cardines Field falling to the New Bedford Bay Sox, 14–4. For the Bay Sox, reliever LHP Darrien Ragins earned his first win of the year allowing two earned runs on two hits through three innings of work.
New Bedford jumped out to an early 2–0 lead in the first inning on an RBI groundout from 1B Karsten Sherman and an RBI single off the bat off 3B Luke Bakula. In the third inning, the Bay Sox would increase their advantage to 3–0 as DH Nick Matera crossed the plate when Bakula grounded into a double play.
On the mound, Bay Sox starter RHP Brendan Jenkins cruised through the first three innings retiring the first nine Gulls he faced. After New Bedford increased its lead to 4–0 in the top of the fourth inning, the Gulls would respond in the bottom of the frame. CF Drew Arciuolo, who led off the inning with a single, would eventually come around to score on a wild pitch to cut Newport’s deficit to 4–1.
But, New Bedford would pull away as Sherman’s solo home run in the fifth and five runs in the sixth put the Bay Sox on top, 10–1. The Gulls would answer again during the sixth inning as LF Kameron Misner hit an RBI single before 1B Liam McGill’s RBI groundout to cut the deficit to 10–3.
After the Bay Sox pushed across two more runs in the eighth inning to take a 12–3 lead, Gulls’ shortstop Kevin Heiss would score on Misner’s RBI double, decreasing New Bedford’s lead to 12–4. In the final frame, the Bay Sox took advantage of a Newport error and a walk, adding two more runs to end the game on top, 14–4.
Gulls’ starter LHP Jack Patterson received his first loss of the season hurling five innings, surrendering five runs on nine hits with four strikeouts. Misner paced Newport’s offense going 3–4 with an RBI while Arciuolo went 2–4 with two runs scored. New Bedford outhit the Gulls 17–6.
On Friday, the Gulls will return home to Cardines Field to host the Upper Valley Nighthawks at 6:35 p.m. on Newport Hospital Night. Fans will receive free healthy giveaways at the ballpark.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million
- Frank Prosnitz: My Jazz Festival’s Top Picks
- Gerry Goldstein: Word horseplay draws some pun-gent responses