The Rhode Island National Guard and US Army Special Operations Command is conducting military training this week, residents near Narragansett Bay are hearing noises associated with those exercises on Thursday night.
Noises associated with the training will include loud bangs and simulated weapons fire, training was scheduled from 6 pm to 3 am on Thursday evening..
Training started on Monday, June 5th throughout Rhode Island and will continue thru Sunday, June 11th.
Newport Police Department is aware of the training exercises and noises.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million