The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority (RITBA) has provided the following advisory for the Newport Pell and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges. Due to the Bike MS: Ride the Rhode 2017, held by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, there will be a partial closure of the Newport Pell and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges on Saturday, June 10.
Starting at 6 a.m., for approximately 20 minutes, the westbound lane of the Newport Pell Bridge will be closed. There will also be a brief westbound left lane closure on the Jamestown Verrazzano.
More than 500 cyclists will partake to celebrate the 30th annual event which is expected to raise $530,000. The ride, June 10-11, will take cyclists across the Newport and Jamestown Bridges on a journey along the scenic coast and through the winding country roads of Rhode Island.
For those scheduled to travel on the Newport Pell Bridge and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges on Saturday, June 10 at 6 a.m. RITBA is asking motorists to plan commutes accordingly; expect delays and allow extra travel time.
Those traveling later in the day to Newport for Swiss Village Farm’s Open House (9 am to 3 pm), the 36th Annual Chowder Cook-Off ( 12 pm to 6 pm) or just to enjoy the day in the City-By-The-Sea should allow extra time to get over the bridge due to lane closures during construction.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)