On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 the Newport County YMCA will celebrate their past years successes, outstanding volunteers and community supporters at the 2017 Annual Meeting at Newport Vineyards.
Fort Adams Trust will receive the Social Responsibility Award. In 2016, Fort Adams opened its doors to Y Summer Camp programs to give local youth access to the waterfront. Water activities such as sailing, paddle boarding, kayaking, and swimming are available to campers that may not have had the opportunities before. Fort Adams gives Y campers space to ride bikes and make lasting friendships.
Common Fence Point Zumba® will receive the Healthy Living Award. CFP Zumba® embodies the Y’s mission of healthy living. The partnership provides programs and activities to promote wellness, reduce disease and help participants reclaim their health. Extending the Y’s reach to the Portsmouth area, classes are FREE for Y members. Anyone from the community is invited to attend at a drop-in rate.
Sharon Discuillo will receive the Volunteer of the Year Award. Sharon is the Gymnastics Team Booster Club President and is invaluable to the team’s success. She sets up the concession stands at meets, spearheads communication and goes above and beyond. The Newport County YMCA Gymnastics Team is very grateful for all of Sharon’s support.
Randy Doiron will receive the Youth Development Award. Randy has always been drawn to water. Growing up in Waltham, MA he began swimming competitively at a young age. In 2012 Randy brought his talent and passion to the Y as the Wahoo Swim Club Coach. Randy has said about his swimmers, ”not all are the fastest, but that isn’t the only thing that makes a swimmer great. I can say that I learned as much from them as they did me, possibly more. They enabled me to keep my passion alive through their own unique passions of the sport.” By supporting the YMCA’s Community Support Campaign, you can provide scholarships for swimmers, with Randy’s passion, that may come from families that cannot afford to give their children the gift of being part of a team.
The Y invites the community to attend our celebration. For more information on how you can contribute to the Y’s Community Support Campaign, or if you have any questions regarding the Annual Meeting, please contact Sara Meirowitz at saram@mewportYMCA.org or 401-847-9200 ext. 109. Or, visit our website at www.newportymca.org
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)