The Newport Police Department has charged a 43-year-old man with armed robbery, according to the following press release distributed by Newport Police Department on Wednesday.
“On Monday, May 22, 2017, at about 7:15 p.m., multiple Newport Police Officers responded to the Yankee Candle on America’s Cup Avenue for an armed robbery report. The suspect produced a knife and demanded all the money in the cash register. The clerk handed over an undisclosed amount of money and the suspect fled the store.
After viewing the video surveillance, Detective Ryan Doyle identified the suspect as 43-year-old Victor Lambert. Detective Doyle contacted Mr. Lambert by telephone, and after a lengthy conversation, Mr. Lambert originally agreed to turn himself in.
Officers responded to a Pond Avenue address where he was observed operating a motor vehicle.
A motor vehicle stop was conducted and Mr. Lambert was taken into custody without incident.
Mr. Lambert was subsequently charged with 1st-degree Armed Robbery.
The Newport Police Department would like to thank the area businesses for their help and cooperation during the course of this investigation.”
This story will be updated if more information is provided.
The Latest From WUN
- National Sailing Hall Of Fame inducts Class of 2021
- Newport woman is first-ever female to win Citizens Pell Bridge Run
- What’s Up This Week: Heart & Sole Walk for Animals, Full Moon Bike ride, The Exorcist, & more
- Newport Garden Club to host a talk by ‘The Seedhuntress’
- Changing seasons, changing exhibits at Little Compton Historical Society