Teresa Paiva Weed, former long-time Senator for District 13 (Newport, Jamestown) and Senate President, has sold her home at 48 Admiral Kalbfus Road in Newport.
Paiva Weed, who was the state senator of District 13 from 1992 to March 2017, announced on March 22nd that she would be resigning from the Senate and would be accepting the presidency of the Hospital Association of Rhode Island, a statewide non-profit organization in Providence.
Paiva Weed sold her single-family 4 bedroom home in the North End of Newport for $399,000 on Monday, May 15th. It was originally listed on December 12, 2016 for $425,000. The property was last purchased for $438,000 on January 30, 2006, according to real estate records.
What’sUpNewp was unable to reach Paiva Weed on Wednesday for comment.
Meanwhile, the race to replace Teresa Paiva Weed in the State Senate is on, there are four democrats and one republican running to fill her seat. The primary election is scheduled for July 18, and the special election for August 22.
If you’re scoring by money in the bank, Newport Councilman and businessman John Florez takes the early lead, and if you’re scoring by grassroots donors, the winner is lawyer Dawn Euer. That, according to the May 1 financial filings with the state Board of Elections, representing the first quarter of 2017, ending March 31. It’s logical to also believe that in the past month candidates have been ramping up their fundraising efforts.
The Latest From WUN
- Obituary: Elizabeth Marion (Matter) Chambers
- Best-selling author Ann Hood hosts ‘The Writing Life’ public talk at Salve Regina on Oct. 30
- Brown University to significantly expand financial aid and college access
- What’s Up This Week: Hocus Pocus, Tour de Fright, Halloween festivities, and much more
- Bowzer’s Rock ‘N’ Doo-Wop Party 20th Anniversary coming to Mohegan Sun Jan. 16