Mystic Seaport has announced that they will present their 2017 America and the Sea Award to David Rockefeller Jr. and Sailors for the Sea. Given annually by the Museum, the prestigious award recognizes individuals or organizations whose contribution to the history, arts, business, or sciences of the sea best exemplify the American character.
Sailors for the Sea, which is headquartered in Newport, RI, was co-founded by Rockefeller. The organization is a leading conservation organization that engages, educates, inspires and activates the sailing and boating community toward healing the ocean. Through its Clean Regattas and Ocean Watch programs and Green Boating Guide, the organization successfully motivates boaters to become environmental stewards.
“We are proud to recognize the tremendous contribution David Rockefeller Jr. and Sailors for the Sea have made to educate and activate the maritime community in the goal of conserving and protecting the health of our oceans. By forging a connection between boaters and ways in which they can help conserve the environment, they inspire all of us to take better care of the world in which we live,” said Steve White, president of Mystic Seaport in a news release.
“Sailors for the Sea and I are incredibly honored to join the illustrious roster of America and the Sea Award recipients. Through this opportunity we look forward to fostering an even deeper collegial relationship with Mystic Seaport, broadening the scope and outreach of both organizations. It paves the way for our two organizations to collaborate more directly on projects that serve our shared ideals, and raise awareness of the issues both organizations hold dear, our maritime past and present and the future vitality of our oceans,” said Rockefeller in the release.
Past recipients of the America and the Sea Award include oceanographer and explorer Sylvia Earle, historian David McCullough, legendary yacht designer Olin Stephens, President and CEO of Crowley Maritime Corporation, Thomas Crowley, philanthropist William Koch, former Secretary of the Navy John Lehman, WoodenBoat Publications founder Jon Wilson, yachtsman and author Gary Jobson, maritime industrialist Charles A. Robertson, author Nathaniel Philbrick, and Rod and Bob Johnstone and their company J/Boats.
Rockefeller will receive the award Wednesday, October 11, at a gala held in his honor in New York City. This event is the premier fund-raising event for Mystic Seaport.
More from What’s Up Newp
- 23 Open Houses to check out in Newport County this weekend
- Obituary: Eileen Schultz English
- Obituary: Joseph R Casale
- Gerry Goldstein: Horse sense from a cowboy philosopher
- Opinion: Lucy’s Hearth needs the community’s support now more than ever
- National Grid making progress in restoration efforts
- Celtic Woman’s “Postcards From Ireland” arriving at Mohegan Sun Arena on March 18, 2022
- What’s Up This Weekend: Salve Fall Festival Weekend, Halloween Hilarity, Trunk or Treat, and more
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels