Newport will welcome Charlie Enright (Bristol, RI) and Mark Towill (Hawaii) onboard Vestas 11th Hour Racing on Friday after their first transatlantic crossing on board their newest boat.
The Volvo Ocean Race sailors left Lisbon, Portugal on April 19 to complete offshore miles required to enter the ’round the world race in October and are headed to the Newport Shipyard for a two-week stay.
The latest update from Sail Newport:
Update from Vestas 11th Hour Racing “50 miles from R2 going 14 knots”. Looks like just after 0800 at Castle Hill and 0830-0900 at Newport Shipyard.
At a Volvo Ocean Race press conference and pep rally on March 21st, Vestas and 11th Hour Racing announced their partnership in support of the fourth team to join the 2017-2018 Volvo Ocean Race. Under the leadership of two experienced sailors from the 2014-15 race, Charlie Enright and Mark Towill, the Vestas 11th Hour Racing team is set to achieve exemplary results in sport and sustainability.
Ways To Follow Along
- JOIN SAIL NEWPORT ON THE WATER: – If your boat is in the water, monitor VHF 77 and 16 for communications. Join them at Newport Shipyard for temporary tie-up and dock activities.
- TEXT UPDATES: – Subscribe to Sail Newport’s texting service for up-to-the-minute text updates on the Volvo Ocean Race and other breaking sailing news (Opt-out at any time).
- WATCH ARRIVAL FROM SHORE – Brenton State Park/Castle Hill/Fort Adams State Park – then go to the Shipyard to welcome the sailors.
- MEET SAIL NEWPORT AT THE DOCK – Newport Shipyard – Belle’s will open at 7 a.m. for coffee.
- WATCH ON FACEBOOK – Keep updated and check Sail Newport’s Facebook tomorrow
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard
- Westerly Town Manager quits; Police Chief expected to be appointed interim manager
- City of Newport to kick off American Rescue Plan fund engagement process
- Newport Polo to host USA versus Mexico on Saturday
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune