Timothy Edward (Timmy) Finn, 56, died unexpectedly at home on Thursday, April 13, 2017. He was the son of the late Helen Murphy Finn and Matthew H Finn, and brother of the late Cornelius D Finn.
He attended Newport schools, graduating from Rogers High School in 1979. Like so many Newporters he began his working career at Newport Tent Company, where he worked for many years. A talented craftsman, he worked for local employers as a carpenter, roofer and most recently a sheet metal worker. He was generous with his time and skills to his family and many friends.
He loved sports and played football for RHS. He was one of the original members of the Newport Rugby Club, traveling with them to compete in Ireland. Timmy was a proud Hibernian and “Fifth Warder”. His annual open house during the St. Patrick’s Day Parade was a favorite stop for his family and friends. He was a good man with a big heart and an even bigger hug. He will be remembered as a loyal friend and a devoted brother to his sister, Helen and his brothers.
He is survived by his brothers Matthew Finn, Paul Finn, Robert Finn and sister Helen Finn, all of Newport.
Calling hours will be on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 from 4-7 pm at O’Neill- Hayes Funeral Home, 465 Spring Street in Newport. His funeral will be held on Wednesday, April 19, 2017, with a Mass of Christian burial at 10 a.m. at St. Augustin’s Church, Carroll Avenue in Newport. Burial will be private.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the charity of one’s choice in his memory.
The Latest From WUN
- “Six Picks” Pumpkin Ale – It’s the time of the season
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education