Betty Jean (Westgate) Foss, 80, passed away on April 24, 2017 in Middletown, Rhode Island.
She was born on October 22, 1936 in Portsmouth, New Hampshire to the late Raymond Westgate and Evelyn (Call) Westgate.
Betty was an active member and Sunday school teacher at Middletown Baptist Church for over 40 years. She was also foster parent to about 35 children over the years and Camp Fire Leader for over 25 years. Most of all she was a devoted mother, grandmother, and great grandmother.
She is predeceased by her husband Gerald Foss, a son Dana Glenn Foss, and daughter Brenda Wasilewski.
Betty is survived by her children Rhonda (Foss) Weaver & husband Robert of New Jersey, Brian Foss & wife Melissa of Rhode Island, Richard Foss of Rhode Island, Angela Foss of Virginia, Thomas Foss of W. Virginia, Rachel Foss of W. Virginia; 25 Grandchildren and 10 Great Grandchildren.
She was one of 11 siblings with 3 surviving Donald Westgate & wife Geri, Barbara (Westgate) Genthner, and step brother Kenneth Genthner & wife Sandra. Also surviving are her brother in law Richard Buckingham & wife Judy, and sister in law Arlon Edwards & husband Clayton and many nieces, nephews and cousins.
Calling hours will be held on Sunday, April 30, 2017, from 4:00-7:00pm in Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport.
Her funeral will be held on Monday, May 1, 2017, at 10:00AM in Middletown Baptist Church, 1818 West Main Road, Middletown, RI. Burial will follow in Newport Memorial Park, Middletown.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Middletown Baptist Church, , 1818 West Main Road, Middletown, RI 02842.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now