Andrew M. Christensen, 69, of Newport passed away Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at Newport Hospital. Andrew was born in Newport, son of the late Arnold B. and Gwendolyn (Kent) Christensen. He was the husband of Mary (Sullivan) Christensen.
Besides his wife of 44 years he leaves his daughter Amy Logan and her husband Christopher, his grandsons, Reese Logan and Andrew Garrett Logan all of West Warwick.
He is also survived by his three brothers Arnold B. Christensen and wife Jan of Corpus Christi, TX, Frederick K. Christensen and wife Joanna of Tucson, AZ and Walter K. Christensen and wife Kathy of Middletown. He was the brother of the late Arlene Barbara Ponte.
He was a veteran of the Vietnam War, Army branch. He was a sales clerk at One Stop Building Supply Company for many years. He was an active member of Emmanuel Church, serving on the vestry and in the men’s club. He was a member of Gooseberry Beach. During his life, he enjoyed digging for quahogs, going to yard sales, and spending time with his grandsons.
Calling hours will be held Sunday, April 9, 2017 from 4:00PM to 6:00PM in the Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport.
His funeral will be held Monday April 10, at 3:00PM in Emmanuel Church, 40 Dearborn Street, Newport. Burial will follow in Middletown Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Visiting Nurse Services of Newport and Bristol Counties, 1184 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI 02871.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard
- Westerly Town Manager quits; Police Chief expected to be appointed interim manager
- City of Newport to kick off American Rescue Plan fund engagement process
- Newport Polo to host USA versus Mexico on Saturday
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune