Newport – “Bud” Allen, 92, passed away peacefully on March 14, 2017, in his home. He was born July 28, 1924, in Manchester, CT, son of Carl H. Allen and Agatha Haverly Allen. He attended Dental School at the University of Maryland and received his certificate of Orthodontics at the University of Montreal.
He was an officer in the US Navy, as well as serving in the First Marine Division in Korea. He set up private practice in New Rochelle, NY, and was President of the NY Society of Orthodontics in 1973. He lived in Greenwich, CT, before retiring to Newport in 1981.
He leaves his son, Douglas and his wife, Sarah, and two grandchildren. As well as his brother George, he also leaves his companion, Mary “Mame” Reynolds. He was predeceased by his wife, Cynthia Gifford Allen in 2005.
There will be a private burial and celebration of his life at a later date.
Donations in his memory may be sent to the Historic Hill Association, Newport, RI, www.historichillassociation.com, where he once served as president.
The Latest From WUN
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Sarah Potenza, Elvis Costello and more
- Obituary: Julian C. Clinton
- “Six Picks” Pumpkin Ale – It’s the time of the season
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network