Nelson (Tom) Lee Thompson, 86, of Newport, RI, passed away peacefully at home on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 surrounded by his loving family.
He was the husband of Clara (Butt) Thompson. Besides his wife of 62 years he is survived by a son Rickey Thompson and his wife Patricia of North Kingstown, RI, his daughters Debra Thompson of Ellsworth, ME, Susan Perry of Middletown, RI and Jean Thomas of Warwick, RI. He is also survived by his eight grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Born in Spokane, Washington he was the son of the late Lyle Thompson and Pearl (Curtis) Thompson.
He was preceded in death by his son Army Master Sargent David Lee Thompson and all five of his siblings: Bert, Elmer, Gordon, Jenavev, and George.
Nelson served our country by enlisting in the United States Navy. His enlistment included active duty during the Korea conflict. In his younger years Nelson enjoyed riding his horses with a passion for the outdoors. Nelson was a hardworking provider on behalf of his family with a compassionate, caring, and unique bond with his beloved wife and an exceptional father to his children, a loving Father-in-Law, and a devoted Papa to his grand and great-grandchildren. He enjoyed gardening, sports, and playing a good game of Cribbage with his daughter.
As dad used to tell us before heading out to sea – “Gone to sea, we have the watch”; don’t worry dad, we have the watch now.
Visiting Hours and service will be held on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 from 9-11 am in the O’Neill-Hayes Funeral Home, 465 Spring Street, Newport, RI. Burial will be private.
The Latest From WUN
- “Six Picks” Pumpkin Ale – It’s the time of the season
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education