The 40th annual Newport Irish Heritage Month kicks off on Sunday, February 26, at 3:00 p.m., with Dancing at the Forty Steps.
In addition to dancing and live Irish music, the AOH Men choral group will provide some sing-a-long Irish songs. Weather permitting, of course.
This event not only officially begins Irish Heritage Month but also commemorates the many Irish who in the 19th and 20th centuries came to work and live in Newport, building Fort Adams, constructing and working at the mansions, and making Newport what it is today.
Irish Heritage Month is a celebration of all things Irish throughout the month of March with music, lectures, tours, food, and, of course, the 61st annual parade in honor of St. Patrick on Saturday, March 11. The complete, printable, Newport Irish Heritage calendar can be found at www.aohnewport.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools