Richard G. Silvia, passed away peacefully on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 surrounded by family after a brief fight with cancer. Now he is reunited with the love of his live, Audrey (Hull) Silvia to whom he was married for 59 years.
A native “Islander” he was the son of Joseph and Mary (Corey) Silvia. He was predeceased by his brother Walter Silvia, and sisters, Dorothy Silveira, Jean Ramsey and Allene Reynolds.
He is survived by four children, Catherine Geary and her husband John, William Silvia and his wife Carol, Patricia Silvia and Frank Silvia, seven grandchildren, Japhen Silvia, Janelle (Geary) Lopez and her husband Albert, Shaun Geary, Naomi Bickford, Amber Bosteder, Kristi Mantor, an Nichole Clark, along with several great grandchildren.
Rich worked numerous jobs on the island until finding his passion for painting and sign making, owning and operating Silvia Signs for 35 years. He was famous among family and friends with is homemade “Stuffies.” Rich was an avid world traveler who also visited every state except for South Dakota! An army veteran, golfer, accomplished painter, fan of the New England Patriots who also loved nothing more than beating his grandchildren at Backgammon.
Rich will be dearly missed by all.
Rest easy Dad!
At Richard’s request, all services are private.
This obituary has been republished with permission.
More from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Timothy E. Carter
- Newport Gallery Night returns on August 12
- Obituary: Belmira Silvia
- Obituary: Jayne Ellen Byam
- Obituary: Susan Christie
- Obituary: Eileen Burke
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 3 Recap and Photos (August 1)
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell