On September 2, 2016 at 10:32 am, the Newport Police Department responded to the Newport Heights Housing Development in the area of Beech Tree and West Evans where a 22 year old male Newport resident was intentionally hit by a vehicle suffering minor non-life threatening injuries.
Newport Police reports that the suspect then retuned minutes later in a vehicle driving by firing gunshots towards the victim. No gunshots struck the victim or any other bystanders in the area but struck a fence and nearby home.
The suspect has been identified by Newport Police as Jalil Muhammad Nelson, 18 years of age, of 17 Shimoda Way Newport RI.
Police say he was located minutes later with the assistance of Middletown Police Department in the suspect vehicle driving into Coddington Point at 231 Maple Ave Newport RI where he was arrested.
The suspect and victim are both known to each other and Newport Police Department believes the victim(s) were targeted and this was not a random shooting.
Jalil Muhammad Nelson has been charged with the following: 4 counts of Assault with Deadly Weapon (vehicle and firearm), Discharge of a Firearm from a Motor Vehicle, Leaving Scene of Accident Resulting in Personal Injury and Violation Of No Contact Order.
The Latest From WUN
- What’s Up This Weekend: Heart & Sole Walk for Animals, Goat Hikes, Barks & Brews, and more
- Obituary: Gardiner Lee Sherman
- The Minks coming to Askew Thursday, October 21
- Irish immigrant women in domestic service topic of upcoming lecture
- Foiling Kiteboarder slashes 1 minute and 14 seconds off Around Jamestown Record