What’sUpNewp, in partnership with the International Yacht Restoration School (IYRS), is giving away the ultimate Labor Day Weekend experience.
On Labor Day Weekend, IYRS will host the 37th Annual Newport Classic Yacht Regatta, the third and final leg of the North American Circuit of the Panerai Classic Yachts Challenge.
What You Win
What’sUpNewp is offering the opportunity for two people to join IYRS at the weekend event, the lucky winner will receive…
- An invite for two to jump on board Rum Runner II (lead boat of the Classic Yacht Parade) for the Classic Yacht Parade on Sunday morning (race is scheduled to start at 10:30 a.m.), here you will enjoy the very best view of the parade and harbor for about an hour and a half. Value: Priceless
- Two complimentary tickets to the seated dinner at IYRS at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday. Value: $120
How To Enter
Enter to win by signing up for our daily e-mail newsletter before 5 p.m. on Thursday, September 1st here – http://eepurl.com/mkRun.
You’ll love our daily e-mail, we promise it’s not spam. It’s got everything you need and want to know about what’s happening, new and to do in Newport!
One winner will be picked at random from our e-mail database at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 1st. The winner will receive an email on Thursday evening and we will announce it here.
- If you’ve already signed up for our e-mail newsletter in the past, you are automatically entered to win.
- The opportunity is non-transferable. If you can not go, please let us know and we will pick another name.
More About The Event
The Newport Classic Yacht Regatta (CYR), September 3-4 in Newport, RI, is the third and final leg of the North American Circuit of the Panerai Classic Yachts Challenge.
Earlier this year CYR organizers announced that the event did have a long and illustrative history at Fort Adams, but in an effort to grow the event among both boats and spectators, the Executive Committee of IYRS has elected to bring the 37th Annual Newport Classic Yacht Regatta into town.
“This has been greeted very positively,” according to Terry Nathan, IYRS President. “Many of the yacht owners and crew have shared with us the desire for more convenient access and some healthy change.”
This comes at a time in which 2016 has brought change to the classic community with the genesis of the Classic Yacht Owners Association – now with over 150 private owner members and support from major yacht clubs and regattas, especially in the New England circuit.
“We are part of a very proud group of founding members,” says Nathan, “and are pleased that this association is both up and running and with an impressive governance structure built on broad owner input.” The core players are still very much engaged, including IYRS, Sail Newport, and title sponsor Panerai.
“IYRS has a pretty good history of successful events on its school campus, catering to both sponsors and participants,” says Jenny Holmqvist, IYRS Events Manager. “Our annual gala has become a go-to summer event in Newport.” Nathan added further that “the event will now be more accessible to the public providing Panerai, the event, and IYRS with great brand building.
Schedule Of Events: 37th Annual Newport Classic Yacht Regatta
Friday, September 2
1700 – 1900 Registration and Check-in
1800 – 2000 Welcome party
Saturday, September 3
0830 – 0930 Check-in
0930 Mandatory Skippers’ Meeting
1155 Initial Warning Signal
Sunday, September 4
1030 Classic Yacht Parade begins at harbor entrance
1155 Initial Warning Signal
1800 Cocktail Party
1930 Awards Dinner
HISTORY OF THE REGATTA:
Founded in 1980 by a group of Newport-based classic yacht owners and fans who wanted to preserve and promote the culture of classic yachting, the Newport Classic Yacht Regatta (CYR) brings together yachts designed and built by some of the greatest American masters. Through the years, these wonderful vessels have been maintained by equally passionate and talented professionals and yacht owners. The CYR is the final stage of the North American Circuit of the Panerai Classic Yachts Challenge. Winners of the Panerai series are awarded at the ceremony on Sunday evening, Sep 4.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13