After being closed on Thursday, the Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) recommended the reopening of Mackerel Cove Beach in Jamestown around 5pm on Friday for swimming. The beach was closed based on results from water samples that measured bacteria counts at the beaches.
RIDOH did recommend closing Conimicut Point Beach in Warwick due to high bacteria counts.
The status of a beach may change daily. The most up-to-date beach information is available through a recorded message on RIDOH’s beaches telephone line (401-222-2751) and online.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools