Start your Father’s Day with some fresh air and a hike of Ballard Park. At 11 a.m. on Sunday, staff from Friends of Ballard Park and Rhode Island Families in Nature will lead event goers on a leisurely hike through the park as they search for wildlife, learn about the history and ecology of the park, and take in the spectacular views the park has to offer.
The hike is a great opportunity for children to “take Dad out” and give Mom a break, although she is welcome to join! As the group hikes through the one-plus mile of trails, Friends of Ballard Park staff will point out some unique features of the park. Ballard Park was once a working quarry and provided rock to build a myriad of structures, including Doris Duke’s Rough Point and the rock slide at Murphy Field.
Those interested in attending should meet at the Hazard Road entrance. Plug in 1 Ocean Heights Road into your GPS. The entrance to the park is directly across the street. There is a $10 suggested donation per family for this event. Attendees should wear sturdy shoes as the trails are steep and uneven in places.
On Monday, June 20th Friends of Ballard Park is offering a guided a hike through the thirteen acre nature preserve as part of the Attraction’s Council’s “Newport Days”. The hike is free to Newport County residents and hospitality employees. Meet at the Hazard Road entrance for this one as well.
Friends of Ballard Park is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting, maintaining and promoting Newport’s Only Nature Preserve. Cultural events and educational programming help to promote stewardship of the park and decrease negative park activities. Visit www.ballardpark.org for more information or call 401.619.3377.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)