Discover the best events, activities and things to do during this weekend in and around Newport, RI.
1 – 2nd Spring Session: Monday at 9:30 a.m.
The JAC 2nd Spring Session begins Monday, May 9 and runs through Friday, June 17. Classes for children, teens, & adults include: Creative Movement, Kids’ Drawing and Painting, Kids’ Pottery, Cafe Clay, Evening Printmaking, Evening Clay, Open Studio Orientations, and the FREE Afterschool Environmental Education Workshops for grades 5-8. Ongoing offerings include Open Studios in Printmaking and Ceramics, Tai Chi, Yoga, and FREE Knitting. More Info: www.jamestownartcenter.org
2 – newportFILM Presents WEINER at Jane Pickens Theater: Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
This is a NOT-TO-MISS doc about the infamous politician, Anthony Weiner! With unrestricted access to Anthony Weiner’s New York City mayoral campaign, this film reveals the human story behind the scenes of a high-profile political scandal as it unfolds, and offers an unfiltered look at how much today’s politics is driven by an appetite for spectacle. Tickets are $12 and more info and tickets are available here.
3 – Art After Dark at Newport Art Museum: Thursday at 5pm
Join Newport Art Museum on May 12 as they applaud their Museum Studies (Muse) students at the opening reception of their curated exhibition here in the galleries! Their innovative Muse program fosters the next generation of art lovers, makers, curators and supporters. Food is art, too, and the Rogers High School Culinary students are prepared to WOW you, while you enjoy live jazz performed by The Portsmouth Abbey Jazz Band. They’ll also be announcing the winner of the Popular Vote for the Newport Annual Show! Tricky Gallery Game puzzlers, scavenger hunts and stargazing on the lawn with Skyscrapers, Inc. Amateur Astronomical Society of Rhode Island!
4 – WADK 1540 AM Live Broadcast at Custom House Coffee: Friday from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m.
AM 1540 WADK will be broadcasting the Morning Report Live on Friday, May 13th from Custom House Coffee, 796 Aquidneck Ave in Middletown. Join Bob Zompa and Bobb Angel from 6am-9am. Stop in, make a $5 donation to Operation Stand Down RI, and get any drink on the menu for free. Fresh brewed coffee, fruit smoothies, cold brew drinks, frozen beverages and more!
Operation Stand Down Rhode Island’s mission is to help homeless and at-risk veterans secure stable housing as well as other assistance according to individual needs including case management, basic human needs, referrals, and education and employment services.
5 – Live Improv Comedy with The Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater: Fri. at 8pm & Sat. at 8pm & 10pm
RI’s most award-winning comedy troupe hits the stage with their hilarious improv show full of larger than life characters, hysterical musical numbers, & the quickest wit you’ll ever see EVERY Fri & Sat night at 8pm. If you are going for a special occasion & would like a person(s) of honor to be part of the show let us know in advance. We will create a customized game just for your group! We encourage ALL guests to buy tickets online, shows often sell out. All shows are BYOB! Laugh More.Tickets and more information available at www.bitplayers.net
Live Music, Entertainment & Comedy Listings
Diegos: Trivia at 9pm
Fastnet: Live music with The Ubiquitones from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
Fifth Element: Live music with The Groove Merchants from 7pm to 10pm
Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music with Yacht Club Rejects from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
Perro Salado: Live music with Julio Amaro from 6pm to 9pm. No cover.
- Hotel Viking: Live music with Matt Kearns at 7pm. No Cover.
- O’brien’s: Trivia at 9:30pm
- Wharf Pub: Open Mic at 8pm.
- Buskers: Open mic night with Mike Warner from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fastnet: Pub Trivia at 9pm.
- Hotel Viking: Live music with John & Joanne Duo at 7pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music at 8pm
- Norey’s Star Restaurant: Live music at 9pm. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with The Throttles from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Sardella’s: Live jazz music at 7:30pm. No cover.
- Celtica: Trivia at 9pm
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Open mic at 9pm.
- Hotel Viking: Live music with Mark Gorman at 7pm. No cover.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 9pm.
- Norey’s Star Restaurant: Live jazz music at 7:30pm. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with The HonkyTonk Knights from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Justin Pomfret at 9pm.
- Wharf Pub: Bingo at 8pm
Buskers: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No Cover.
Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
Clarke Cooke House: DJ & Dancing in the Boom Boom Room from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm.
Hotel Viking (One Bellevue Lounge): Live music with Half Step Down from 7pm – 11pm.
Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music with at 9pm.
Jo’s Bistro: Live music with John & Joanne from 7pm to 10pm. No cover.
Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 10pm. No cover.
Newport Blues Cafe: Live music at 9pm.
One Pelham East: Live music at 9pm.
Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music at 9pm.
Speakeasy: Live music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
Tavern On Broadway: Live Reggae music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
Wharf Pub: Live music at 8:30pm. No cover.
More from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Timothy E. Carter
- Newport Gallery Night returns on August 12
- Obituary: Belmira Silvia
- Obituary: Jayne Ellen Byam
- Obituary: Susan Christie
- Obituary: Eileen Burke
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 3 Recap and Photos (August 1)
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell