As part of the Newport Water Division’s ongoing maintenance of the water distribution system, a water main flushing program in designated areas will begin during evening hours beginning Sunday, April 17, 2016 and ending May 4, 2016. The flushing of the water mains using fire hydrants will begin at 8:00 p.m. and continue until 4:00 a.m. Signs will be posted in each area before flushing begins.
Be aware that during the flushing process, it is common to have discolored water with low water pressure. Flushing in one area may create discolored water in other areas. This is normal during this period and may be corrected by running your cold water only for ten to fifteen minutes. It is recommended that use of water be minimized during the hours of flushing.
Call 845-5600 for additional information. The proposed flushing schedule is subject to change due to weather conditions.
WEEK 1 – April 17, 2016 – April 21, 2016
The following list of streets will be areas where hydrant flushing occurs during the week of April 17, 2016 starting on Sunday in Portsmouth moving south into Middletown and Newport.
Rolling Hill Rd., Redwood Rd., John Kesson Ln., Pasture Farm Dr., Greene Ln., Pocahontas Dr., Roy Ave., Rogers ln., West View Rd., Namquid Dr., Browns Ln., Vanicek Ave., Corporate Pl., Island Dr., North Dr., South Dr., Jepson Ln., Oliphant ln., meadow Ln., Forest Ave., Chases Ln., West Main Rd., Woolsey Rd., Buck Rd., Park Dr., Wyatt Rd., Berkeley Ave., Maple Ave., O’Neil Blvd., Beacon St., High St., Boulevard, Girard Ave., Hillside Ave., Continental Dr., Goldenrod Dr., Aquidneck Ave., Columbia Rd., Turner Rd., Honeyman Ave., Wyndham Hill Rd., Trout Dr., John Clarke Rd., Valley Rd., Vernon Ave., Bliss Mine Rd.,
WEEK 2 – April 24, 2016 – April 28, 2016
The following list of streets will be areas where hydrant flushing occurs during the week of April 24, 2016 starting on Sunday in Newport heading south and in Middletown Easton’s Point heading west towards Memorial Boulevard.
Reservoir Rd., Paradise Ave., Wolcott Ave., Allston Ave., Ellery Ave., Purgatory Rd., Tuckerman Ave., Memorial Blvd., Admiral Kalbfus Rd., Broadway, Farewell St., Third St., Second St., Washington St., Malbone Rd., Friendship St., Powell Ave., Warner St., Rhode Island Ave., Kay St., Eustis Ave., Gibbs Ave., Americas Cup Ave., Touro St., Catherine St., Church St., Old Beach Rd., Thames St., Spring St., Parker St., Annandale Rd., Berkeley Ave., Narragansett Ave., Webster St.
WEEK 3 – May 1, 2016 – May 4, 2016
The following list of streets will be flushed during the week of May 1, 2016 starting on Sunday continuing in Newport. *Additional flushing shall be performed during this week to complete areas if needed.
Bellevue Ave., Leroy Ave., Shepard Ave., Ruggles Ave., Ochre Point Ave., Coggeshall Ave., Ledge Rd., Bateman Ave., Wellington Ave., Harrison Ave., Houston Ave., Wickham Rd., Brenton Rd., Harrison Ave., Beacon Hill Rd., Hammersmith Rd., Ridge Rd., Castle Hill Ave., and Ocean Ave.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits