The 15th Neighborhoods of Newport House Tour, presented by St. Michael’s Country Day School, will be held on Sunday, April 24, 2016 from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm.
The 2016 tour includes the following properties;
- Passage Rocks: A secluded modern retreat overlooking the East Passage of Narragansett Bay.
- The Playhouse: An early 1900s boathouse renovated as a family haven on the water of Prices Neck Cove.
- Built in 1887-88, Snug Harbor on Bellevue Avenue is an excellent example of a transitional style between the Queen Anne and Shingle styles. It was initially constructed for U.S. Navy Admiral Charles H. Baldwin.
- Sulthorne: Just off Bellevue Avenue, an architect designs a new shingle and stone house for his young family, and also renovates a 19th century barn on the property.
- Birdsong: A 1940s cottage nestled near Hammersmith Farm takes on nautical style when renovated for a young family.
- Considered one of the best surviving examples of Gilded Age coaching and storage, the recently restored Breakers Stable & Carriage House dates from 1895 and features 16 original carriages.
- The Audrain building on Bellevue Avenue dates from the early 1900s and received the 2015 Doris Duke Preservation Award for its meticulous renovation including the automobile museum and second floor office space.
Shuttle buses will be provided for transportation on the house tour.
Time: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Registration at St. Michael’s School beginning at 9:30 a.m.
Admission: $40 in advance; $50 after April 22; group tickets are $35 each for four or more tickets
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune
- Apple Picking Season has arrived! “Six Picks” Orchards in Newport County and beyond
- Jamestown Arts Center seeks artist submissions for ‘RAW: Reassessment and Wonder’
- National Data shows an increase in child poverty and uninsured children
- 24th International Seapower Symposium taking place at Naval War College this week
- Obituary: Anne S. Gadoury
- Obituary: John Richard Davidson