Discover the best events, activities and things to do during this weekend in and around Newport, RI.
(In chronological order)
1 – Live Stand-Up Comedy
Friday at 8pm at Plumby’s
Plumby’s Upstairs Burger Bar at Brick Alley Pub invites you to join them at 8pm on Friday, April 15 for their Spring Edition of the PLUMBY’S Live Comedy Show. April’s show will feature Ben Hague, Emily Ruskowski, Doug Key and Brian Plumb and tickets are $10 in advance (pick them up at the bar at Brick Alley Pub) and will be $15 at the door.
2 – Live Improv Comedy with The Bit Players
Friday and Saturday at 8pm at The Firehouse Theatre
RI’s most award-winning comedy troupe hits the stage with their hilarious improv show full of larger than life characters, hysterical musical numbers, & the quickest wit you’ll ever see EVERY Fri & Sat night at 8pm. If you are going for a special occasion & would like a person(s) of honor to be part of the show let us know in advance. We will create a customized game just for your group! We encourage ALL guests to buy tickets online, shows often sell out. All shows are BYOB! Laugh More.Tickets and more information available at www.bitplayers.net.
3 – Newport Daffodil Days Festival
April 16th – 24th throughout Newport
The 2016 Newport Daffodil Days Festival will begin with the Opening Ceremonies at 2pm on Saturday, April 16 at Bowen’s & Bannister’s Wharves in downtown Newport, go to www.daffodillion.com for more information and for updated weather information. Here’s a look at what’s happening this weekend for the festival;
Saturday, April 16 – 10am – 1pm: Dabble & Doodle the Daffys
- Draw the 50,000 daffodils blooming on Cliff Walk
- Cliff Walk at Shepard Ave. & Narragansett Ave.
Saturday, April 16 – 2-3pm: Daffodil Festival Opening Ceremonies
- Family fun, musket fire, games, conga dance with the newly crowned Queen of the Daffodils
- Bannister and Bowen’s Wharf, downtown Newport
Sunday, April 17 – 10-11:30 am: Photographing the Daffodils Workshop
- Picture Taking Tips from the Newport Photographers’ Guild
- Cliff Walk and Shepard Avenue
Sunday, April 17 – 1-2pm: Daffy Doggy Parade
- Dress your dog and parade down to Queen Ann Square
- Depart: 1pm from Wag-Nation, 92 William St. & Black Dog, end of Bannister’s Wharf.
- 1:30pm: Award ceremony, Queen Ann Square
4 – A Breach of Unity: Religion & Revolution in Erza Stiles’ Newport
Saturday from 11am to 12:15pm
Rhode Island’s “lively experiment” set out to prove religious liberty was the best way to maintain a secure and flourishing civil state. Yet a century after King Charles II approved this grand experiment, Rhode Island was embroiled in turmoil and revolution. This tour explores the role religious liberty played in Newport’s final years as a colonial city. Drawing on Ezra Stiles’ journals and other records, review familiar sites with new insight while highlighting some less familiar events to show how Newport’s “breach of unity” fell not only along socio-economic and political lines, but religious lines as well. Tours cost $15 per person, $10 Newport Historical Society members, active duty and retired military with ID; $5 for children ages 5-12. More Info
5 – Marine Debris Removal
Saturday from 12pm to 2pm at Fort Adams
Meet Clean Ocean Access on the west lawn (near the Eisenhower House, looking towards Jamestown) for a group marine debris cleanup. Dress for the weather including boots or sturdy shoes. Refreshing beverages provided by Empire Tea & Coffee!
6 – ‘RI Historic Cemetery Restoration and Awareness Day’ With Walking Tours
Saturday at 1pm
Friends of Island Cemetery, Newport Historical Society, Belmont Chapel Foundation, and the Newport Restoration Foundation are coming together to offer tours of Newport’s historic cemeteries.
The Common Burying Ground tour , conducted by Newport History Tours, a collaboration of the Newport Historical Society and the Newport Restoration Foundation, departs promptly at 1pm from Brick Market: Immediately following, the Island Cemetery will step off from the administration building located at 30 Warner Street. An added rare glimpse of recently stabilized Belmont Chapel will be included in the Island Cemetery tour. More Info & Reservations
7 – Ballard Park Tree Hike
Saturday from 2pm to 3pm
Newport Arboretum Week is a terrific time to learn more about the trees in Ballard Park. Maple trees are the most popular but you’ll see elm, oak, birch, cherry, autumn olive, and a nice grove of quaking aspen as our staff leads a hike through the park’s thirteen acres. Meet at the Hazard Road entrance. $5 suggested donation. Rain date: April 17th.
8 – Princess Dinner & A Movie With Cinderella
Saturday at 5:30pm at Hotel Viking
Experience Hotel Viking’s newly renovated Bellevue Ballroom with a family friendly buffet dinner. Dinner includes chicken tenders, macaroni and cheese, french fries, pulled pork, roasted chicken and a variety of sides and salads. Complete with soft drinks and a candy dessert buffet. Adults: $25, Children (12 & Under) $5. Feel free to wear your tiara and gown. Reservations for buffet required: (401) 848-4814. Facebook Event
9 – Playing With Shakespeare
Sunday at 1pm at Jamestown Arts Center
Enjoy an afternoon of Shakespeare without the intimidation factor! This free, all ages event requires no experience, acting talent, or knowledge of Shakespeare! Join Emmy Award winning actress Laurie Heineman at the Jamestown Arts Center on Sunday, April 17 from 1 – 3pm for a lighthearted ‘open call’ theater workshop for absolutely everyone interested in having some fun.
No experience is needed. The curious of all ages are invited! The program includes laughs, tears and totally inauthentic Elizabethan costumes. Guaranteed fun, no trauma! Please register in advance to reserve a spot. Walk-ins welcome if space allows.
10 – Recital of Ibero-American Art Music
Sunday 3pm to 4pm
The Redwood is delighted to present classical guitarist Herman Hudde in a special concert at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, April 17, in the Harrison Room. Admission is $10 for members and $15 for non-members. We do ask that you make a reservation at 401-847-0295, ext. 112, as seating is limited. More Info
Live Music and Entertainment Listings
If you enjoy What’sUpNewp, please consider supporting those businesses in bold below! They sponsor us and make what we do possible.
- Buskers: Live music with John Brazile from 9pm to 1am. No Cover.
- Brick Alley Pub: Live stand-up comedy featuring Ben Hague, Doug Key, Brian Plumb and Emily Rukowski at Plumby’s at 8pm. Tickets available at the door.
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
- Clarke Cooke House: DJ & Dancing in the Boom Boom Room from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music with BETA DAYS / THE FOUR POINT RESTRAINTS / HOLDFAST / DAYS OF OCTOBER – presented by tweed leisure at 9pm
- Jo’s Bistro: Live music with John & Joanne from 7pm to 10pm. No cover.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 10pm. No cover.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Live music with What Matters at 9pm.
- O’brien’s Pub: Live music at 5pm.
- One Bellevue Lounge (Hotel Viking): Live music with Matt Kearns from 7pm – 11pm.
- One Pelham East: Live music at 10pm.
- Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music with The Mintones at 9pm.
- Pour Judgement: Live music at 10pm.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Chopville from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live Reggae music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music with Tim Smith from 8pm – 11pm No cover.
- Buskers: Live music with Brian Twohey from 8pm to 1am. No Cover.
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
- Clarke Cooke House: Live music with Steve Cerelli and Art Manchester from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fifth Element: Live music with Professor Harp at 10pm. No cover.
- Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm and 10pm.
- Genie’s Hookah Lounge: DJ & Dancing at 9pm.
- Hotel Viking (One Bellevue Lounge) Live Music with Nina Otto Latin Jazz from 7pm – 11pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon:Live music with Riki Rocksteady, PUS, The Abductors, Holdfast at 9pm.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Narragansett Cafe: Live music at 9pm. No cover.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Live music with Sugar at 9pm.
- Newport Grand: Live music with Free Concert – Mullett – 80’s Tribute Show at 9pm.
- Newport Sportsman Club: Live music with Down City returns at 8pm.
- O’brien’s Pub – DJ C-Gray from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- One Pelham East: Live music with at 9pm.
- Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music with Whisky Fyre at The Parlor Newport at 9pm.
- Pour Judgement: Live music at 10pm
- Saltwater at Newport Harbor Hotel: Live music with Anamcara from 7pm-10pm. No cover.
- Speakeasy: Live music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live music with at 10pm. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music with John Erikson from 8pm – 11pm. No cover
- Clarke Cooke House: Live music with Bobby Ferreira from 12:30pm to 3:30pm. No cover.
- Fastnet Pub: Live traditional Irish Music from 6pm to 9pm. No cover.
- Fifth Element: Live music with Lois Vaughan Quartet from 12pm to 3pm . No cover.
- Hotel Viking: Live music with Arilyn Mitchell from 2pm to 4pm. No cover.
- Jimmy’s: Live Music at 9pm.
- Maison DNA: Steve Delmonico (The Quahogs) & Florence Wallis / Dan Dodd / icky woods – Live at Maison DNA at 6pm
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music with Justin Pomfret from 4pm to 7pm.
- Pour Judgement: Live music with Los Duderinos from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Stu Sinclair at 8:30pm. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music with Sara & Chris from 2pm to 5pm. No cover