When multiple Grammy-winning bassist Christian McBride was recently named artistic director of the Newport Jazz Festival, it was also announced that Danny Melnick, a 25-year veteran of Wein’s organization, would move from Associate Producer to Producer of the festival.
Danny called in to The Open Forum with Ryan Belmore on 1540 AM WADK Newport on Friday, March 18th to chat about the recent changes for the Newport Jazz Festival, the “state” of jazz music in the United States, how George Wein is still involved with the festival and how the 2016 lineup came together.
Ryan also chatted on the show today about a possible upcoming snow storm, the future of comedy in Newport, what’s new and happening around town and more.
For more information on the Newport Jazz Festival and for tickets, visit www.newportjazzfest.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools