Picnic Gourmet + Cafe is now open at 26 – 28 Bellevue Avenue in Newport, the gourmet and cafe takes over the space previously occupied by Newport Wine Cellar + Le Petit Gourmet.
Picnic is owned and operated by John and Tracy Bach-Sorensen, Owners and Operators of Willy’s Burger Bar + Rotisserie on Lower Thames Street (formerly Asterik’s) for the last 20 years.
Although Willy’s Burger + Bar Rotisserie is publicly listed for sale, the couple still plans on operating it daily (except when it’s closed on Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s).
Many may be familiar with Boulangerie on Spring Street (now Rosemary & Thyme) that the couple ran for around 12 years. The new Cafe at Picnic hopes to bring back many of the baked goods and sandwiches that people fell in love with over their former cafe.
Since the couple closed the Boulangerie on Spring Street, they’ve missed running a cafe (John in particular has missed baking) and look forward to baking, serving great to-go items that are perfect for a “Picnic” or day out the water and some of their favorite cheeses, desserts, coffee and other treats.
The Cafe is now open and serving baked goods, sandwiches, salads, wi-fi and more from 7am – 6pm daily; the Gourmet is expected to open in a few weeks (probably after March 12th).
In the future Picnic Gourmet + Cafe hopes to stay open even later for those looking for a late night espresso, coffee, dessert or a delicious treat. Of course, they will be BYOB.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)