City Councilor-At-Large Justin McLaughlin submitted his letter of resignation to the City Clerk on Thursday afternoon.
UPDATE: 2pm on February 29th – What’sUpNewp has learned that Newport City Councilor-At-Large Justin McLaughlin rescinded his resignation on Monday afternoon.
McLaughlin’s resignation is effective February 29th, 2016, the reason for him stepping down is not known at this time.
On Wednesday, McLaughlin was the lone City Council member to vote against appointing Interim City Manager Joe Nicholson to the roll full-time.
The Charter for the City Of Newport states that any vacancies arising from resignation in the membership of the Council shall be filled by four affirmative votes of the remaining members of the Council within thirty days after the Council learns of the vacancy or, in the event of a tie vote or inability to elect, the vacancy shall be filled as soon thereafter as possible by a majority vote of all the remaining members of the Council; provided, however, the Council shall provide for the public solicitation of applicants.
This story will be updated when/if more information is received.
The Latest From WUN
- Concert Recap and Photos: Jake Blount at Common Fence Music (October 16, 2021)
- Cathleen Carr named new executive director of newportFILM
- Ocean State Job Lot hosting hiring events at all store locations
- Potter League to host 32nd Annual Heart & Sole Walk for Animals at Fort Adams
- The Beach Boys To play Mohegan Sun Arena on New Year’s Eve