Our site doesn’t have a paywall and all of our content and newsletters are always free to read.
Instead, reader support and advertising from local businesses power our locally owned, independent newsroom. If you like what we do, a contribution of $8/month means more than you’d think, and any amount helps.
(Photo of sledding at Fort Adams via Sail Newport Facebook Page)
Happy Sunday! Hope you all faired well throughout the wicked snow storm over the last 24 hours!
Things and business should be back to normal today, we have a full list going on here of any updates that we receive regarding business and restaurant closures, updates and delays.
1 – Sledding!
With the help and expertise of our loyal readers and followers, the What’sUpNewp Crew has compiled a list of the best and favorite places to go sledding and tubing in and around Newport, Middletown and Portsmouth. Best Places To Go Sledding and Tubing on Aquidneck Island
2. Roger Williams Park Zoo Day at Newport Skating Center: Sunday starting at 10am
It’s Roger Williams Park Zoo Member Day! Zoo members, who present their membership card and corresponding ID, get free skating admission for everyone in their group! Happy Skating in Newport’s winter wonderland with Roger Williams Park Zoo!
3. Classical and Flamenco Guitarist Pablo Gimnez Hecht: Sunday at 3:30pm
The Redwood Library will present Spanish guitarist Pablo Gimnez Hecht in a special concert at 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, January 24, in the Harrison Room.His performance at the Redwood will include a diverse program of guitar solos by classical composers Torroba, Albniz, and Falla, paired with flamenco works by Escudero, Sabicas, and Paco de Luca. Admission is $10 for members, $15 for non-members. We do ask that you make a reservation at 401-847-0295, ext. 112, as seating is limited.
4. Playing With Shakespeare: Sunday at 3pm
Enjoy an afternoon of Shakespeare at Jamestown Arts Center without the intimidation factor! This free, all ages event requires no experience, acting talent, or knowledge of Shakespeare! Join Emmy Award winning actress Laurie Heineman at the Jamestown Arts Center on Sunday, January 24 at 3:00pm for a lighthearted ‘open call’ theater workshop for absolutely everyone interested in having some fun.
No experience is needed. The curious of all ages are invited! The program includes laughs, tears and totally inauthentic Elizabethan costumes. Guaranteed fun, no trauma! Please register in advance to reserve a spot. Walk-ins welcome if space allows.
Laurie is an experienced Shakespearean who loves to have fun. She will tell the story, act out scenes, and then lead as everyone reads, frolics, dresses up, and plays a short version of a Shakespearean Masterpiece.
THIS PROGRAM IS FREE (did we mention free?!)
Spot Heineman in the film SPOTLIGHT as Judge Sweeney, now playing at the Jane Pickens Theater in Newport, RI through December 24.
5. Patriots vs Broncos in the AFC Championship Game at 3:05pm
Go Pats! Here’s where to watch the big game today – Best Places to Watch NFL and College Football in Newport, RI
Sunday Live Music & Entertainment Listings
- Clarke Cooke House: Live music with Bobby Ferreira from 12:30pm to 3:30pm. No cover.
- Fastnet Pub: Live traditional Irish Music from 6pm to 9pm. No cover.
- Jimmy’s: Kitchen & Tap Takeover at 9pm.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music with Justin Pomfret from 4pm to 7pm. No cover.
- O’brien’s Pub: Karaoke at 9:30pm
- Parlor Newport: Live music at 6pm.
- Pour Judgement: Live music with Los Duderinos from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Stu Sinclair at 8:30pm. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music from 2pm to 5pm. No cover