Friends of Ballard Park is partnering with Newport Daffodillion to plant 2,000 more daffodil bulbs in Ballard Park. Volunteers are sought to help plant the bulbs on Wednesday, November 11th from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm.
Last October volunteers and professional landscapers planted 19,000 bulbs in the quarry meadow of Ballard Park. The bulbs planted on Wednesday will line the entrance off of Hazard Road. Volunteers should bring a small shovel or rake if they have it. There will also be some on hand they can use. Jan Slee and JohnHirschboeck from Newport Daffodillion will auger the holes and volunteers simply need to drop the bulbs into the holes and cover them with dirt. Meet at the Hazard Road entrance.
Ballard Park celebrated its 25th birthday last week. On October 30, 1990, Carol C. Ballard donated the thirteen acre site to the City of Newport “for the enjoyment of all Newport’s residents”. Carol envisioned the site would serve as an outdoor laboratory for area students and a place where the local public could connect with nature.
Friends of Ballard Park formed in 1996 to protect, preserve and promote Ballard Park. The nonprofit organization worked with representatives from the City of Newport to clean out construction debris, burned out cars, household appliances and other materials from the park. The meadow was then regraded and sodded. A one mile trail system was introduced. Over the years Friends of Ballard Park has hosted events and field trips to encourage the public to visit Ballard Park and to deter negative activities.
For more information call 619.3377 or visit www.ballardpark.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13