Photo by Brooke Scoca
On November 7th, Junior quarterback Brandan Basil completed 20 of 25 passes for 239 yards and three touchdowns (15, 11, 5) to lead Salve Regina University football to a 49-14 victory over visiting Maine Maritime Academy at Gaudet Field.
Salve Regina University and Western New England University will meet this coming Saturday to decide the 51st championship of the New England Football Conference. Kickoff is slated for 1:00PM at Golden Bear Stadium on the campus of Western New England in Springfield.
Western New England enters the game with a perfect 9-0 record. The Golden Bears have run through the NEFC to the tune of 6-0 and will be seeking their second NEFC title after defeating Framingham State 20-13 in overtime to take the 2011 championship. WNE defeated cross-town rival Springfield College, Union College and Westfield State in its 2015 non-conference slate.
Salve Regina is 7-1 overall and 5-1 in the NEFC. The only blemish on the Seahawks’ record is a 21-20 setback to NEFC foe Coast Guard in the Conference opener for both teams. Salve Regina has won three NEFC Division titles (1998, 1999, and 2012), but has never captured the outright Conference crown. In non-conference action, the Seahawks defeated Worcester State and Castleton State in 2015.
The Latest From WUN
- Newport woman is first-ever female to win Citizens Pell Bridge Run
- What’s Up This Week: Heart & Sole Walk for Animals, Full Moon Bike ride, The Exorcist, & more
- Newport Garden Club to host a talk by ‘The Seedhuntress’
- Changing seasons, changing exhibits at Little Compton Historical Society
- ‘Rock The Mansion’ raises more than $150,000 for Newport Mental Health