Sail into the most wonderful time of the year at the 18th Annual Newport Harbor Illuminated Boat Parade on Friday, November 27, 2015 at 6:15 p.m.
Spectators can view this highly anticipated dazzling display of nautical holiday spirit along Newport Harbor’s waterfront from the Newport Yacht Club (open to the public for the event), Perrotti Park, Bowen’s Wharf, Bannister’s Wharf, and points around Newport Harbor.
Viewing of the parade is free of charge, making this a great family event to get into the spirit of the holiday season. At 6 p.m., parade boats will rendezvous just south of the Goat Island Causeway and then proceed east leaving Newport Yacht Club. Boats will then travel south along the downtown waterfront and then turn around to return to the Goat Island Causeway area.
“This year we are delighted to have Retired Navy Captain and current Assistant Harbormaster George Crowninshield as our Parade Marshall.” states Harbormaster Tim Mills. George has been involved in the Newport Waterfront for many years, most notably as past manager of Goat Island Marina and Board Member at the Seamen’s Church Institute for 20 years. “The parade will feature a variety of water craft that call Narragansett Bay home including leisure boats of all sizes, commercial fishing boats, tug boats, and Coast Guard and Navy vessels,” adds Mills
Magnificently decorated vessels will compete for prizes in the following categories: Best Decorated Sailboat (commercial and recreational), and Best Decorated Powerboat (commercial and recreational), Best Decorated Fishing Boat, Best Decorated Porch or Docks, and finally, arguably the parade’s most entertaining category, Most Team Spirit.
The event is open to any business, organization or boat owner interested in participating. Parade organizers also encourage all Newport Harbor waterfront owners to decorate porches and docks for the event through the holiday season. An award will be presented to the most dazzling landlubbing display as observed by the Harbormaster from the water that evening.
To contribute to the community this holiday season, participants and spectators are asked to bring a non- perishable food item to donate to the Martin Luther King Jr. Center. There will be a donation box set up inside the Newport Yacht Club.
Any organization, business, or boat owner that would like to get involved in the 18th Annual Holiday Harbor Lights Illuminated Boat Parade should contact Newport Harbormaster Tim Mills at (401) 845-5815. Participants are asked to register by 12:00pm on November 27th.
Make sure to check the Facebook Group “Annual Parade of Lighted Vessels”.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune
- Apple Picking Season has arrived! “Six Picks” Orchards in Newport County and beyond
- Jamestown Arts Center seeks artist submissions for ‘RAW: Reassessment and Wonder’
- National Data shows an increase in child poverty and uninsured children
- 24th International Seapower Symposium taking place at Naval War College this week
- Obituary: Anne S. Gadoury
- Obituary: John Richard Davidson