The Easter Rising of 1916 Centennial Remembrance Committee of Rhode Island will hold a multi-media historical presentation on Sunday, October 18 at 3:00 p.m. at the Ancient Order of Hibernian Hall, 2 Wellington Avenue, Newport. The event is free and open to the public.
The Easter Rising, also known as the Easter Rebellion, was an armed insurrection in Dublin and other parts of Ireland during Easter Week, 1916, mounted by Irish republicans to end British rule in Ireland and establish an independent Irish Republic.
The October 18 presentation will include biographies of the seven signers of the 1916 Proclamation of independence, which precipitated the rebellion, historical footage from Easter Week 1916, and historically appropriate live musical performances and readings. Music will be performed by local Irish musicians and the Ancient Order of Hibernian Men Singers. Local actor Mike Healy, a native of Ireland, will recite the Proclamation and read historically related poetry.
The presentation will last approximately an hour and a half. Light refreshments will be provided and a cash bar available.
Space is limited and reservations are requested. To reserve, please contact Ann Arnold at email@example.com or (401) 841-5493.
Content Presented By
The Latest From WUN
- Newport woman is first-ever female to win Citizens Pell Bridge Run
- What’s Up This Week: Heart & Sole Walk for Animals, Full Moon Bike ride, The Exorcist, & more
- Newport Garden Club to host a talk by ‘The Seedhuntress’
- Changing seasons, changing exhibits at Little Compton Historical Society
- ‘Rock The Mansion’ raises more than $150,000 for Newport Mental Health