Update – Governor McKee announced this evening that he has rescinded this restriction.
Because of high winds and heavy rain associated with Tropical Storm Henri, Governor Dan McKee has issued a proclamation prohibiting tractor-trailer trucks from all state highways effective at 11 a.m. today, Sunday, August 22. This restriction also applies to motorcycles.
Drivers of all other types of vehicles are expected to use good judgment and stay off the roads until Henri has passed and the roads are clear of debris. The proclamation will remain in effect until further notice.
A copy of the proclamation can be downloaded here.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met
- Blackstone River Theatre Holiday Craft Fair and Festival returns with 24 crafters and live music
- Just My Opinion: What are you thankful for in 2021?
- Newport Jazz Festival releases 2021 Thank You Video
- RITBA: For the first time since the pandemic began, traffic returning to 2019 levels on Pell Bridge
- Singing For Shelter returns December 1 – 22, nightly virtual live concerts will raise money for local shelters