Three homes on Prudence Island were destroyed in a fire overnight.
The homes are located at 14 & 15 Herreshoff Lane and 830 Narragansett Avenue.
According to officials, Portsmouth fire received the call just before 11 pm. Crews from Newport, Middletown, and Prudence Island battled flames overnight and the island is currently without power. No injuries have been reported.
The fire marshal determined a malfunctioning wood stove was to blame, according to WJAR.
Large fire on Prudence Island. Here’s the view from dock in Portsmouth. Lots of smoke filling the sky. Marine units are being deployed from this area for assistance. @wpri12 pic.twitter.com/yCI4nvo1oR— Ryan Welch (@RyanWelchPhotog) January 22, 2021
Here’s the view from my lens. Portsmouth Marine unit has made two trips so far bringing first responders across the water to the island to assist with battling this blaze. pic.twitter.com/Nm0tjEmlJm— Ryan Welch (@RyanWelchPhotog) January 22, 2021
This was at 14 & 15 Herreshoff Lane and 830 Narragansett Ave. NO ONE was hurt. Portsmouth Fire Dept credits their new boat and Bristol Fire’s new boat with preventing the flames from spreading further. https://t.co/x6Z7cd2ctJ— Kait Walsh (@KaitLouiseWalsh) January 22, 2021
This story is developing.
The Latest From WUN
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Sarah Potenza, Elvis Costello and more
- Obituary: Julian C. Clinton
- “Six Picks” Pumpkin Ale – It’s the time of the season
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network