Want this story delivered right to your inbox? Sign up to receive What’s Up In Newport Today in your inbox every morning!
The Annual Polar Plunge at Easton’s Beach has been canceled. To keep people from participating and gathering on their own, the City of Newport announced yesterday that Easton’s Beach will be closed on New Year’s Day.
It was 40 years ago today that Sunny von Bulow was found comatose at Clarendon Court.
Aquidneck Island is getting an early holiday present as Rejects Beer Co. is scheduled to open in a limited capacity later today.
Aquidneck Community Table is hosting a special holiday growers’ market on Wednesday at the Gateway Center.
Wondering what homes sold on your street, in your neighborhood or in Newport County? Here’s a look at the 24 properties that changed hands last week.
Overall giving to Salve Regina University was up during the last fiscal year, with $5.4 million pledged compared to $4.1 million during the previous year.
Governor Raimondo has signed a pared-down state budget for the 2021 fiscal year that restores funding to cities and towns, uses federal coronavirus relief funds to aid struggling Rhode Islanders, and does not raise taxes or fees.
401 Tech Bridge in Portsmouth has announced the winners of the first Materials Innovation Challenge.COVID-19 in Rhode Island
RIDOH419 new positive cases, 17 new fatalities yesterday. COVID-19 in Rhode Island: The latest data
RIDOH provided their weekly update to this list, List: States with travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island. 46 states and Puerto Rico now have travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island.
We’ll hear from the Governor today at 1 pm when she hosts her weekly COVID-19 press briefing. Watch it live on our website and Facebook Page as it happens, or anytime afterward.
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Happening In Newport County Today
- Special Weather Statement
- Today – Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 42. Northwest wind 6 to 14 mph.
- Tonight – Mostly clear, with a low around 29. Northwest wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.
- Small Craft Advisory in effect from December 22, 06:00 PM EST until December 23, 07:00 AM EST
- Today – WNW wind 5 to 8 kt increasing to 9 to 12 kt in the afternoon. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – WNW wind around 12 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 47°F.
Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:09 am | Sunset: 4:20 pm
- High tide at 1:36 am & 1:54 pm | Low tide at 7:32 am & 7:36 pm
- Moon: First Quarter Moon, 7 days, 50% lighting
Things To Do
- Christmas In Newport
- 10 am to 5 pm – Letters to Santa at Bowen’s Wharf
- 10 am – Palmer’s Picks at Jamestown Philomenian Library
- 2 pm to 6 pm – Tiverton Farmers Market – Winter
- 4 pm to 8 pm – Sparkling Lights at The Breakers
- 6:30 pm – Scripture Study Class
- 7 pm – Singing For Shelter House Concert
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 4 pm – Little Compton Wilbour Woods Stakeholders Committee
- 5 pm – Newport School Committee
- 6:30 pm – Tiverton Recreation Commission
- 1 pm – Governor Raimondo’s weekly COVID-19 press briefing
Have a tip, story, suggestion, birthday, anniversary, new job, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ll See You Out There
|Photo by jenspags28|