Want this story delivered right to your inbox? Sign up to receive What’s Up In Newport Today in your inbox every morning!
The Annual Polar Plunge at Easton’s Beachhas been canceled. To keep people from participating and gathering on their own, the City of Newport announced yesterday that Easton’s Beach will be closed on New Year’s Day.
It was 40 years ago today thatSunny von Bulow was found comatose at Clarendon Court.
Aquidneck Island is getting an early holiday present asRejects Beer Co. is scheduled to openin a limited capacity later today.
Aquidneck Community Table is hosting aspecial holiday growers’ market on Wednesdayat the Gateway Center.
Wondering what homes sold on your street, in your neighborhood or in Newport County?Here’s a look at the 24 properties that changed hands last week.
Overall giving to Salve Regina Universitywas up during the last fiscal year, with $5.4 million pledged compared to $4.1 million during the previous year.
Governor Raimondohas signed a pared-down state budgetfor the 2021 fiscal year that restores funding to cities and towns, uses federal coronavirus relief funds to aid struggling Rhode Islanders, and does not raise taxes or fees.
401 Tech Bridge in Portsmouth has announcedthewinners of the first Materials Innovation Challenge.COVID-19 in Rhode Island
RIDOH419 new positive cases, 17 new fatalities yesterday.COVID-19 in Rhode Island: The latest data
RIDOH provided their weekly update to this list,List: States with travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island.46 states and Puerto Rico now have travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island.
We’ll hear from the Governor today at 1 pm when she hosts her weekly COVID-19 press briefing. Watch it live on our website and Facebook Page as it happens, or anytime afterward.
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
For the very latest news and information, visitwww.whatsupnewp.com.
Happening In Newport County Today
- Special Weather Statement
- Today –Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 42. Northwest wind 6 to 14 mph.
- Tonight –Mostly clear, with a low around 29. Northwest wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.
- Small Craft Advisory in effect from December 22, 06:00 PM EST until December 23, 07:00 AM EST
- Today –WNW wind 5 to 8 kt increasing to 9 to 12 kt in the afternoon. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight –WNW wind around 12 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newportis47°F.
Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:09am | Sunset: 4:20 pm
- High tide at 1:36 am & 1:54 pm | Low tide at 7:32 am & 7:36 pm
- Moon: First Quarter Moon, 7days, 50% lighting
Things To Do
- Christmas In Newport
- 10 am to 5 pm –Letters to Santaat Bowen’s Wharf
- 10 am –Palmer’s Picksat Jamestown Philomenian Library
- 2 pm to 6 pm –Tiverton Farmers Market – Winter
- 4 pm to 8 pm –Sparkling Lightsat The Breakers
- 6:30 pm –Scripture Study Class
- 7 pm –Singing For ShelterHouse Concert
JPT Film & Event CenterVirtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 4 pm –Little Compton Wilbour Woods Stakeholders Committee
- 5 pm –Newport School Committee
- 6:30 pm –Tiverton Recreation Commission
- 1 pm – Governor Raimondo’s weekly COVID-19 press briefing
Have a tip, story, suggestion, birthday, anniversary, new job, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: email@example.com.
We’ll See You Out There