Area writers of Italian heritage have a chance to show off as Newport Festa Italiana is sponsoring a new activity this year.
An essay contest centering on the theme, “A Favorite Memory of Growing Up Italian,” will jog some memories and spark much discussion.
The essays are limited to 500 words.
Three prizes will be awarded ($100, $75, and $ 50).
Organizers ask that the essay be typed and include your full name, address, telephone number, and email address. Essays must be submitted by Thursday, October 15, to Newport Festa Italiana, PO Box 3663, Newport, RI 02840 or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits