The Town of Middletown issued a press release on Saturday announcing that starting Monday, the Gaudet Athletic Complex on Turner Road will be closed to the public during school and special event hours.
Superintendent Rosemarie K. Kraeger issued a reminder today to help keep students and staff at Gaudet Middle School safe amid COVID-19. She said the ban applies to all the athletic fields on school property. The track, tennis courts, basketball court, and playground are also off-limits, she said.
“With COVID, we’re trying to get our students out of the building more than ever before for learning and exercise activities,” Kraeger said in the release. “This way, there won’t be any questions about what’s allowed and what’s not. We appreciate everyone’s understanding during these unprecedented times. Like everything we do, it’s all about the safety of our students and staff.”
During non-event days, the athletic complex and related amenities will be closed to the public from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. on non-holiday weekdays.
To remind residents and visitors of the ban, the Middletown Police will post notices on Gaudet property.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates