With less than three months to the General Election, and less than a month to the Primary Election, What’s Up Newp begins its comprehensive coverage of not only elections in Newport County, but also key statewide legislative races.
Surveys were emailed to candidates in Newport County. We have received several responses, with still more coming in. If you are a candidate and have not received a questionnaire, please contact What’s Up Newp or Frank Prosnitz at email@example.com.
We asked about political, professional and community background, about past accomplishments and issues the candidates hope to address during the next term.
Besides the candidates’ answers to our survey, we welcome press releases and op-ed pieces, as we make every effort to provide voters with information that will help them decide on whom they will support on election day. Candidates and those who support them can email Ryan@whatsupnewp.com.
Here we share an election profile for Rachel Hussey, who is seeking election on Newport City Council Ward 3.
Current office (if none, please note none. Please note when elected initially, ex: Town Council, 1964):
Previous political/government elected offices held, and years:
Previous or current appointed government positions (including boards and commissions):
Political Party Affiliation in 2020:
Previous political party affiliation if different from above:
Previous elective political positions sought, year and outcomes:
If applicable: As an incumbent, I am most proud of:
If elected my three top goals are:
- Find a solution to the Rogers High School conundrum
- Ensuring a fair, diverse, and sustainable economy year round
- Adding innovative & unique solutions to age-old problems (overflowing trash bins, lack of parking, maintaining historic integrity, noise & speed complaints, missing signage, recycling options, etc)
Employment and Education
My current employment, including title, is:
Enumerator with the US Census Bureau (during Covid), and ESD Teacher with St. Michael’s School once school is back in session
Schools and degrees:
The American University of Paris, BA – Film Studies & International Communications
Professional organizations, please note leadership positions:
Social Media Consultant with Impact Hub Accra
Awards of recognitions associated with work:
Non-profit community organization affiliations and any leadership position:
Awards of recognitions associated with volunteer work:
- Campaign Announcement
- Response to Alliance For A Livable Newport survey
- 2020 Voter Guide – Video: A conversation with Rachel Hussey, candidate for Newport City Council Ward 3
More From What’s Up Newp
- Newport Polo’s 20th annual charity gala will benefit Jeffrey Osborne Foundation
- Preservation Society of Newport County receives prestigious award from Garden Club of America
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: May 14 – 16
- Beavertail Lighthouse, Watch Hill Lighthouse are being given away for free
- CDC: If you’re fully vaccinated, you do not need to wear a mask – indoors or outdoors, in most settings